According to the American business magazine, Forbes, the most important abilities or skills that employers want are as follows:
1. Can work in a team structure
2. Can make decisions and solve problems
3. Can communicate verbally with people inside and outside an organisation
4. Can plan, organise and prioritise work
5. Can obtain and process information
6. Can analyse quantitative data
7. Technical knowledge related to the job
8. Proficiency with computer software programmes
9. Can create and/or edit written reports
10. Can sell and influence others
So, do you have the above abilities? Do you agree?
Experientially speaking, I can’t work in a team structure, I’m brilliant at making decisions but they aren’t always the right ones, I’m hooked on planning and organising but I couldn’t sell an igloo to an Inuit. So, in a nutshell, it’s a good job I’m self-employed.
So, despite my inability and reluctance to turn on my cooker, I’ve decided to host a festive formal dinner party.
With this in mind, I need to be reminded about the right way of doing things; the things that I am not supposed to do, and the things that I should or ought to do.
I did check on the Internet but, holy smokes, people take this form of entertainment far too seriously! Seriously, it’s mental, there are even books written about it!
So, so far this is my list:
- You should check to see if any guests have a specific dietary requirement. SHOULD It’s a good thing to do.
- You ought not to invite a stripper for the evening’s entertainment. OUGHT NOT TO It’s not the right thing to do.
- You had better learn how to cook something because ordering a takeaway isn’t the right thing to do. HAD BETTER: It’s the best thing to do.
- You are not supposed to drink like a fish when you are the hostess. BE SUPPOSED TO. It’s not the right thing to do, but you probably will do it anyway.
So in a nutshell:
- Disinvite gluten-free people, lactose-free people, people allergic to nuts, meat eaters, fish eaters, teetotallers, people who blog about food.
- Cancel or postpone stripper.
- Throw away packaging so nobody knows I spent an arm and a leg at El Piano buying homemade vegetarian takeaway food.
- Pour vodka into water bottles.
If you want to check out more language pins to review the basics or learn something new, then why not check out the Inglés Málaga pin it board?