Andalusia Day is celebrated on February 28 and it commemorates the February 28, 1980 referendum in which the Andalusian electorate voted to make Andalusia an autonomous community of Spain. We love Andalusia, and Andalusia loves us. How are you going to celebrate this historic day?
If you want to check out more language pins to review the basics or learn something new, then why not check out the Inglés Málaga pin it board?
Easter is a time when many people take time off work. This year I . I have ants in my pants because I am taking a mini getaway to chill out, recharge my batteries and spend time with my family. So, can you guess what I am going to do by the contents of my suitcase?
- High heels
- Cocktail dress
- Flip flops
- iPod Nano
- Nail varnish
In 2004 a Television Channel broadcast a story that informed the general public that a local water company had invented some ‘diet tap water’ and that anyone could get it if they phoned the company and asked for a special tap to be attached to their existing kitchen sink.
The news story also stated that it had tested this ‘diet water’ on one person and in 4 months they had lost 12 kilos.
I am ashamed to tell you that this April Fool was broadcast in my home county of Yorkshire and 10,000 people phoned the company to ask for the special tap with diet water.
TEN THOUSAND PEOPLE, TEN THOUSAND PEOPLE, NO, I am not pulling your leg, in Yorkshire we really are that stupid.
Have you had an April Fool played on you? If so, tell us what happened?
Have you ever wondered who your favourite film director is? No?!
Well, the brilliant, Australian director, Baz Lurhmann, really ‘floats my boat’. This is very curious because in general I can’t stand musicals. It’s just not normal to be walking down the street and then start singing a tune.
On the whole, I think these kinds of movies are ‘a sandwich short of a picnic’. Luckily, Baz Luhrmann has, up to a point, changed my mind as one of my all time favourite films is his musical: Romeo and Juliet. Although his version is based on Shakespeare’s play Romeo and Juliet, the film is set in modern times and the tragedy of the star-crossed lovers unfolds against a backdrop of guns, drugs and fast convertibles.
If you haven’t seen this movie yet, then I suggest that you see it immediately. Check out the official trailer here.
So, despite the fact that musicals aren’t my cup of tea, music is definitely a part of my life that I couldn’t give up. With that in mind, when I first watched Moulin Rouge, I thought I had died and gone to heaven.
Yes, it’s a musical, and blow me over, yes, it’s that good! Seriously, the soundtrack is second-to-none and in my opinion mixing the song Roxanne by The Police with the Tango to emphasize the raw emotions of love, passion, betrayal, jealousy and suspicion was a stroke of genius. Not seen it? Click here
The main characters, Christian and Satine, are played by Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman; and their acting is priceless. So, although this love story didn’t break my heart of stone it definitely caused a mini crack.
Click here to listen to the Australian director talking about the film industry, the critics who don’t rate him, the pressure of creative risk-taking and the changing way Australia treats celebrities.
What do you think of the Ozzy accent? Is it easier to understand than the British accent?
- We are hoping to add a Film section to our magazine. We would like you to write a review about your favourite film of all time. Describe the film and explain why you would recommend it to others.
- Get writing as the best review will win £500 and free tickets to the cinema.
Not sure how to start? Well, think about the following 5-step structure to help you organise your ideas. In addition, there is a sample example in the Reading section of DOWNLOADS. Remember you will need to use the password.
1) Title: Short and Catchy: For example: ‘Sophie’s Choice – Not a Dry Eye in the House’
- General information: the name of the film, genre, the name of the director, the main stars, any awards won.
- Include overall opinion about the film, for example: ‘This fast-paced, action-packed thriller is a must see’.
- Try to write a strong expression or a phrase that will catch the reader’s attention
3) Paragraph 1
- Where and when it was set. A brief summary of the plot, with comments on the acting
4) Paragraph 2
- Additional aspects of the film: special effects, the musical score, supporting roles
- If appropriate, you might include some negative opinions here ( either general / personal)
- Personal recommendation with reasons
- Consider using a direct question, or a memorable expression at the end