Category Archives: Grammar
The ability to understand how a language is constructed definitely has it´s merits. However, from my point of view, this only tells me that you can follow some rules and join a lot of dots together; seriously, how dull is that?!
What´s the point of using a colour by numbers book when you could allow your imagination to take you on journey without rules and without limitations.
OK, having said all that – here you go:
- Can work in a team structure
- Can make decisions and solve problems with little supervision
- Can communicate verbally with people inside and outside an organisation
- Can plan, organise and prioritise work independently
- Can obtain and process information
- Can analyse quantitative data
- Can use computer software programmes
- Can create and/or edit written reports
- Can sell and influence others
- Can think for themselves
- Can adapt to new ideas, systems and processes
So, what do you think? Do you agree with the opinions of this magazine? And, as importantly, do you have any of the above abilities?
Experientially speaking, I can’t work in a team structure, I’m brilliant at making decisions but they aren’t always the right ones, I’m hooked on planning and organising, but I couldn’t sell an igloo to an Inuit. So, in a nutshell, it’s a good job I’m self-employed.
The passive voice is often used by politicians because:
- They don´t know what they are talking about?
- They are making things up?
- They don´t want to take responsibility for the words they use?
It is said that informal and colloquial language is becoming much more popular in business contexts nowadays, and I would completely agree with this opinion.
Whether or not this familiarization of professional contexts is for the better or worse, is definitely debatable. However, truth be told, if you can control both styles of communication, you will be able to open more doors, and seize more opportunities.
If you are interested in more examples of the differences between formal and informal language, why not check out this website?